The Shining Star: My Journey
The Shining Star: My Journey
I Love My Family
By Sarah Elgohary
Preface: What Do We Desire Most in Life?
What do peoletsre most in their lives?
Do we desire religion, love, attention, technology, money, fame, intelligence, or peace? Perhaps we simply want friendship and acceptance. We want to feel that we belong in this world and that people apprecworked for who we hardty often creates standards about what is considered “normal.” People who are different or unique can sometimes be treated as outsiders simply because they do not fit society’s expectations. But what does “normal” really mean?
There is no single definition of normal. What is normal for one person may not be normal for another. Every individual has a different personality, different abilities, different experiences, dreams, goals, and ways of seeing the world.
People with disabilities are sometimes underestimated because others see the disability before they see the person. Yet having a disability does not mean that a person lacks dreams, intelligence, talent, determination, or potential. Sometimes people possess abilities that others cannot immediately see.
I believe that America and society as a whole should stop lowering goals, standards, and expectations for young people and individuals who dream big. We should encourage people to reach for the stars.
The world itself is not perfect. Perhaps there is no such thing as a completely “normal” world. What matters is how we use our experiences, talents, hearts, and dreams to make the world better.
I am still discovering my true potential as a writer. I want to be free to be myself, to dream, to have fun, and to become the person Allah created me to be.
Every person has unique dreams and desires. Some people want success. Others want love, family, friendship, peace, education, or a meaningful career. Some people want to fight for justice and make a difference in the world.
Perhaps the greatest mystery is discovering what we are truly meant to do with our lives.
Our dreams allow us to imagine possibilities beyond the limitations of our circumstances. They allow us to believe that something better is possible.
So I ask you:
What would your perfect world look like?
Chapter 1: This Is My Story
My name is Sarah Elgohary.
I was born with cerebral palsy, but despite having a physical disability, I have worked hard to become part of mainstream society and accomplish many of my goals.
I decided to tell my story not because I believe I am extraordinary, but because I am an ordinary person with extraordinary dreams.
I want to help people. I want to share my experiences with the world. I want people to understand that a disability does not erase a person's dreams or potential.
I earned my bachelor's degree from Hofstra University in psychology and sociology. I have always been interested in understanding people, helping others, and learning about society.
I also love writing, anime, family, friends, and creativity. I consider myself hardworking, determined, attentive, responsible, and versatile.
I believe every new life begins as an innocent soul waiting to discover its purpose.
Sometimes I wonder:
What is my purpose in life?
I want to contribute to the world just as my family and friends have contributed to me. They have given me love, culture, education, encouragement, and experiences that shaped the person I am today.
As a Muslim, my faith is an important part of my identity. I believe in Allah and try to follow the teachings of Islam. I am grateful for everything Allah has given me.
Alhamdulillah for everything I have.
I am grateful for my family, my friends, my education, my experiences, and the opportunity to continue discovering who I am.
I know that I want to become a writer and social worker. I want to become someone who helps others find their voices.
Chapter 2: Finding My Purpose
I have learned that I cannot allow my disability to stand in the way of my dreams.
There will always be obstacles in life, but obstacles do not have to become the end of the story.
My experience with cerebral palsy has given me a unique perspective. It has taught me empathy, patience, determination, and self-advocacy.
I want to become a counselor or social worker and help people recognize their own power.
There are many people who feel that they do not have a voice. I want to help them understand that their experiences matter.
Because I have experienced disability myself, I understand what it feels like when people make assumptions about you before getting to know you.
I want to turn my experiences into advocacy.
I want to help people become confident in their identities and communicate their experiences peacefully and respectfully.
One issue that has deeply interested me is the struggle of refugees, including Syrian refugees affected by war and displacement. I want to advocate for people who are often ignored and help amplify their voices.
My dream is not simply to have a career.
My dream is to make a difference.
Chapter 3: My Education and Dreams
Education has always been important to me.
I graduated from New Hyde Park Memorial High School in 2011 with honors, a Regents diploma, and a 3.5 GPA.
During high school, I studied Spanish and received a 95 on my Spanish Regents examination and a 97 on my American History Regents examination.
I was also involved in school activities, including Spanish Club and Future Business Leaders of America.
My educational journey continued at Nassau Community College, where I studied psychology and human services/liberal arts before continuing my education at Hofstra University.
At Hofstra, I earned my bachelor's degree in psychology and sociology in 2021.
Education taught me something very important:
Never allow anyone to convince you that your dreams are too big.
I have always dreamed about becoming a writer.
I have written stories, explored fantasy worlds, and imagined creating books that could someday become a series.
Writing gives me a way to express the thoughts and emotions inside my mind.
It allows me to create worlds, tell stories, and communicate ideas that might otherwise remain hidden.
Chapter 4: My Mother, My Role Model
My mother is one of the most influential people in my life.
She was born in Egypt and has always been an incredibly hardworking woman.
She devoted herself to taking care of my brothers and me while also working and taking care of our home.
I admire her determination, courage, kindness, and strength.
She never gives up easily.
My mother taught me many of the principles that guide my life: honesty, integrity, caring for others, determination, courage, respect, and compassion.
She taught me to believe in myself and never compare myself to other people.
She also taught me to appreciate what I have and remember people who have less.
One experience that opened my eyes happened when my family visited Egypt.
I saw people and children living without many of the things I had always taken for granted, including food, water, and shelter.
Yet I also witnessed incredible generosity.
People who had very little were still willing to share what they had.
That experience made me realize how fortunate I truly am.
My mother taught me that kindness is not measured by how much you possess. It is measured by how much you are willing to give.
She is my role model.
I hope that someday I can be as loving, caring, and supportive to my own children as she has been to me.
Chapter 5: My Father and His Sense of Humor
My father is very different from my mother, but that is one of the reasons I believe they complement each other so well.
My father has always had an incredible sense of humor.
Whenever I am upset, he can usually make me laugh.
Sometimes he tells funny stories. Other times, he makes strange facial expressions or uses his body language to make a situation seem less serious.
Even when his jokes are not technically funny, the way he tells them makes me laugh.
My father is also very spontaneous.
One moment we could be discussing school or physical therapy, and the next we might be talking about our favorite food, ice cream, or something completely random.
That is simply who he is.
He has a way of making ordinary conversations memorable.
Chapter 6: How My Father and I Make Up
My father and I have had arguments, just like every parent and child.
When we disagree, my father will usually try to explain why he believes he is right.
I might remain stubborn and refuse to accept his apology at first.
Eventually, however, he tries to understand my perspective.
Sometimes he will admit that I am right.
Even if I am still upset, he will come back later and try to make me laugh.
Suddenly, he will say something completely random or make a funny joke.
Before I know it, I am laughing.
That is one of the special things about my relationship with my father.
Even when we disagree, there is always love underneath the argument.
Chapter 7: My Parents — Opposites Who Belong Together
People often say that opposites attract.
I believe that can be true because my parents are very different people, yet they have built a loving family together.
My father is spontaneous, practical, confident, and outspoken.
My mother is organized, thoughtful, caring, and prepared.
They have different personalities, but they share the same priorities.
They both believe that family comes first.
They both want their children to receive a good education and build successful futures.
They both taught me to work hard and never give up.
Their differences did not separate them.
Instead, their differences helped them balance each other.
My parents brought out the best in each other.
They taught me that love is not about finding someone who is exactly like you.
Sometimes love means learning how to appreciate someone's differences.
Chapter 8: My Family Is My Foundation
My parents gave me more than material things.
They gave me values.
They taught me honesty, integrity, determination, courage, compassion, humility, and respect.
They taught me to care about other people.
They taught me to stand up for myself.
Most importantly, they taught me the importance of family.
Even though families disagree sometimes, love remains.
My family has supported me through difficult moments and celebrated my accomplishments.
Without the combined efforts of my parents, I would not be the person I am today.
My family is part of the foundation of who I am.
Chapter 9: My Wheelchair Is Not My Name
Because society often focuses on appearance instead of someone's heart, many people notice my wheelchair before they notice me.
The majority of people I meet see my disability first.
But there is something I want people to understand:
My wheelchair is not my name.
I have a name.
I have dreams.
I have feelings.
I have intelligence.
I have a personality.
I have a family.
I have friends.
I have goals.
I have a future.
I am Sarah.
My wheelchair is a tool that helps me navigate the world. It is not my entire identity.
I do not want people to define me by the chair I use.
I want people to get to know the person sitting in it.
Chapter 10: Living With Cerebral Palsy
I have cerebral palsy, a physical disability caused by brain injury occurring during early development.
Living with a disability has not always been easy.
There have been moments when I have struggled with my physical limitations.
There have been moments when I have felt frustrated with my body.
There have been moments when I wondered what my life would have been like without cerebral palsy.
But there have also been countless moments of happiness.
I love my life.
Alhamdulillah.
I have an amazing family and wonderful friends.
My life is not perfect, and I will never pretend that it is.
I have experienced sadness, frustration, loneliness, laughter, happiness, and hope.
My disability has been part of my journey, but it does not define the entire journey.
Chapter 11: The Questions People Ask
People sometimes ask me questions about my disability.
I would rather people ask respectful questions than make assumptions.
I am generally an open book.
People have asked me how I move around my home, how I use my wheelchair, and what daily life is like.
Some questions are thoughtful.
Others can be surprisingly funny.
One person once asked whether my wheelchair goes on top of me when I sleep.
I could not keep a straight face.
Of course, I get out of my wheelchair when I sleep!
Sometimes people simply do not understand what life with a disability is like.
That is why education and communication are important.
Ask questions.
Listen.
Learn.
But most importantly, remember that the person with the disability is a person first.
Chapter 12: What My Disability Has Taught Me
My disability has taught me lessons that I may never have learned otherwise.
It taught me patience.
It taught me determination.
It taught me resilience.
It taught me how important family and friendship can be.
It taught me to advocate for myself.
It taught me that asking for help does not make someone weak.
It taught me that people should never be judged by their appearance or physical abilities.
Most importantly, it taught me that my voice matters.
I cannot control every situation in life.
But I can control how I respond.
I cannot control what other people think about me.
But I can choose what I think about myself.
I cannot change every barrier in the world overnight.
But I can work toward changing the barriers I encounter.
Chapter 13: My Faith and My Future
My faith is an important part of my journey.
As a Muslim, I believe that Allah has given every person a purpose.
I do not know exactly what the future holds for me.
But I trust Allah.
I want to continue growing as a person, writer, advocate, and future social worker.
I want to use my experiences to help others.
I want to encourage people with disabilities to believe in themselves.
I want to advocate for people whose voices are often ignored.
I want to write stories that inspire people.
I want to make my family proud.
And I want to live a life that has meaning.
Perhaps my purpose is not one single thing.
Perhaps my purpose is found in every person I help, every story I write, every obstacle I overcome, and every person I encourage.
Chapter 14: Reaching for the Stars
My journey is not finished.
There are still many dreams I want to accomplish.
I want to become a successful writer.
I want to continue advocating for people with disabilities.
I want to become a social worker or counselor.
I want to help people discover their voices.
I want to continue learning.
I want to build a meaningful life surrounded by family, friends, faith, and love.
I do not know exactly where my journey will take me.
But I know that I will keep moving forward.
My disability is part of my story.
My family is part of my story.
My faith is part of my story.
My education is part of my story.
My dreams are part of my story.
But none of these things alone defines me.
I define my journey by how I choose to live it.
I am still discovering who I am.
I am still discovering what I can accomplish.
And I am still reaching for the stars.
This is my journey.
This is my story.
I am Sarah Elgohary.
And my story is only beginning.
This version gives your original material a clear memoir structure while keeping the central message: your disability is part of your story, but it does not define the limits of your life. I also separated the family story from the disability/advocacy story so each part has its own emotional focus.
Comments
Post a Comment